A world which affords individuals & groups fair treatment and an impartial share of the benefits of society'.was the dream of one of the greatest socio-economic reformers of his time, Dr Bhim Rao Ambedkar.His initatives have influenced various spheres of life ans transformed the way India looks at soci-economic and legal incentives.
Rules and Regulations
Rules and Regulations
The name of Society shall be Dr. B.R. Ambedkar Foundation, Jaipur (hereinafter referred to as BRAF) and it shall be a self-governing society. BRAF shall be fully responsible for its governance in all matters pertaining to its administration and finances and also be responsible for conducting its programmes of research etc.
The Registered office of the Dr. B. R. Ambedkar Foundation shall be situated at Jaipur in such permises as BRAf may decide from time to time.
The objectives for which BRAF is established are as follows:
- To establish and develop a center of excellence by involving specialists as well as activists from the social sciences and other cognate fields in understanding and analyzing the problems of development with special reference to Rajasthan and to evolve long term strategies and plans of a multi-disciplinary nature for taking their problems.
- To study the phenomenon of socio-economic inequality, disability and discrimination arising out of the caste system in their various aspects.
- To study the work of various thinkers and social reformers who have made a significant in the area of development and empowerment of socially disadvantaged groups with special reference to the thought and work of Dr. Ambedkar.
- To emerge as a center to spread the message of Dr. Ambedkar in the rural and urban areas and thereby create an atmosphere of harmony and goodwill among the different castes/ communities to establish a caste-less society.
- o provide a well equipped center of learningfor intellectuals, academicians and students and to undertake studies and research with the intention to understand, assess and disseminate ideas and thoughts of Dr. Ambedkar particularly on subjects like Social Equality, Economics, Political Science, Sociology, Buddhism,Philosophy, Constitutional Studies, Education, Social Work, Law Human Rights and other disciplines considered relevant to attain the nation goal of social justice. In achieving this objective,BRAF will undertake research and higher studies concerning the socio-economic and cultural life of the marginalized groups and other weaker sections of the society as well as gender discrimination.
- To encourage and promote through award or otherwise, active participation of individuals, groups or bodies, in areas of work related to removal of social disparities and empowerment of under-privileged groups.
- To serve as a center of learning and research on the issues concerningthe socio-economic and cultural lift of the Scheduled Castes/Scheduled Tribes and to also to address the processes of liberalization, privatization and globalization and their impact on society in general.
- To establish a Dr. Ambedkar Chair in BRAF with the financial support of UGC, the Ministry of social justice and Empowerment, Government of india as the case may be.
- To award fellowships specific in the field of Sociology, History, Political Science, Economics, Philosophy, Law etc. Like:
- Khawaja Moinnuddin Chisti Fellowship on the study of Sufism.
- Mahatma Jyotiba Phule Fellowship on the study of Social Revolution.
- Dr. Ram Manohar Lohia Fellowship for the study of Socialistic Pattern of Society.
- Mahatma Gandhi Fellowship on Gandhian Studies.
To focus upon the ideas and concepts propounded by Dr. Ambedkar like:
[a] Influences that shaped Dr. Ambedkar's vision
[b] His social and economic vision of a just society
[c] Riddles of Hinduism
[d] The annihilation of the caste system and the search of a healthy social order
[e] The problem of untouchability and its eradication
[f] His thoughts on the Poona Pact and creation of Pakistan
[g] His ideas on the Hindu Code and women
[h] His concept of history and of rationalism
(i) Dr. Ambedkar's assessment of the Congress and Gandhi,
(ii) His concept of social democracy, state socialism, social justice and human dignity,
[k] His thoughts of linguistic state
[l] His ideology of a trie religion, and
[m] A general assessment of Dr. Ambedkar's humanism, realism, pragmatism, foresightedness and vision toward the promotion of a harmonioua social order and creation of a living civilization.
- To seek cooperation from education or other instituation having objectives wholly or partly similar to those of BRAF.
- To collaborate with and seek the cooperation of the Centeral Govt. And of other states in the promotion of the objective of BRAF.
- To assist in developing academic, creative and literary interaction activitives wholly or partly similar to those of BRAF.
- To strive to emerge as a Center for providing and seeking regional, national and international cooperation with various centres, institution, organizations, academies, etc. In the fields of social and economic activities.
To project nationally and internationally the contribution of Dr. Ambedkar in nation building through:
(a) Organizing of and participation in national and international seminars/ symposia/ workshops and other scholarly and creative activities,
(b) Its own publications of various types
(c) Producing television programmes
(d) Developing a museum on Dr. Ambedkar's life, struggle and contribution.
(e) Funding by Govt. Of Raj. And BRAF generated funds and seeking financial assistance from nation, bilateral, multilateral and other institutions and organizations that strive to promote social harmony
(f) Offering Fellowship(s) including visiting Fellowship to highlight Dr. Ambedkar's works.
- To strive for the inclusion of the profil of Dr. Ambedkar in the curriculum of school education and also the introduction of optional paper(s)/course(s) in social sciences and movements, developments in Rajasthan for scholars in the colleges of Rajasthan and officials engaged in planning, project formation and their implementation in fields related to the development of the Scheduled Castes/ Scheduled Tribes.
- To explore the ideas and information on the problems of Scheduled Caste/ Scheduled Tribes in Rajasthan in a more comprehensive way.
- To evaluate all activities, programmes and policiesthat may assist in promoting the development of Scheduled Castes/ Scheduled Tribes launched by both the Central and State Governments.
- To acquire assistance of UGC, ICSSR and Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, Government of india in the from of Junior Research Fellow (JRF), Senior Research Fellow (SRF), Teachers Research Fellowship (TRF), Research Award , Doctorate Fellowship, Dr. Ambedkar National Fellowship, etc. To do research on problems relating to the Scheduled Castes/ Scheduled Tribes issues.
- To provide consultancy and advice to the Govt. Of Raj. And other inerested organizations in the areas of development and empowerment of socially disadvantaged groups.
- To disseminate through the media the ideas and thoughts of Dr. B. R. Ambedkar particularly on subjects like amelioration of the socio-economic and education conditions of Scheduled Castes/ Scheduled Tribes, women , etc as considered relevant for the attainment of national goals of social justice.
4. Rules For BRAF
The Rules for BRAF are framed here under:
In these Rules, unless the context otherwise requires:
- BRAF shall mean the Dr. Bhim Rao Ambedkar Foundation Jaipur.
- GC shall mean the Governing Council, constituted under these rules and which small be the Governing Council of BRAF;
- EC shall mean the Exective Committee of BRAF;
- DG shall mean the Directive Committee of BRAF appointed by the State Govt.
- AC shall mean the academic Committee of BRAF;
- DR shall mean the Director-General of BRAF appointed by the Exective Committee on the recommendation of the Selection Committee.
- FA shall mean the Finance Adviser of BREAF, appointed by the Govt. Of Rajasthan;
- Secretary shall mean the Secretary of BRAF appointed by the Govt. Of Raj.
First Governing Council
- The Governing Council of BRAF shall, except the first Governing Council for which provision has been made in Section 2 of the Societies Registration Act, 1958, Consist of:
- The ex-officio members of the Governing Council shall continue to be members as long as they hold their office and shall cease to be member as soon as they cease to hold such office.
- Members at (1) to (7) and (15) shall be Ex-officio members and members at (8) to (14) shall be nominated by the Chairperson of the Governing Council and their term shall be for three years. Such members(s) shall be eligible for re-nomination for one more term.
A nominated member of the Governing Council shall cease to be a member if the :
(a) Member dies,
(b) Member resigns,
(c) Membership is terminated at any time by the Governing Council if such person is found guilty of violating the rules and tendered to the Director General and shall not become effective unless it has been accepted by the Governing Council, and
- Casual vacancies in BRAF(or in any of its Committees) caused by resignation, incapacity, death or otherwise shall be filled up by the vacancy shall hold office only for the unexpired period of that Member.
|1.||Chief Minister of Rajasthan||Chairperson (Ex-officio)|
|2.||Minister, Art, Literature & Culture, Government of Rajasthan||Vice-Chairperson (Ex-officio)|
|3.||Director General, Dr. Bhim Rao Ambedkar Foundation||Member (Ex-officio)|
|4.||Principal Secretary, Department of Art, Literature & Culture, Government of Rajasthan||Member (Ex-officio)|
|5.||Principal Secretary, Social Justice and Empowerment Department, Government of Rajasthan||Member (Ex-officio)|
|6.||Principal Secretary, Higher Education, Government of Rajasthan.||Member (Ex-officio)|
|7.||Finance Secretary, Government of Rajasthan.||Member (Ex-officio)|
|8.||Two eminent SC/ST academicians specializing in fields related to Dr. Ambedkar's work||Nominated members|
|9.||Two social scientists, working or retired, from Universities||Nominated members|
|10.||Two members from NGOs working in Rajasthan in the field of social justice, human rights and atrocities.||Nominated members|
|11.||One representative from UGC||Nominated members|
|12.||Two members from reputed scientists/ technocrats/doctors/engineers/professionals,etc.||Nominated members|
|13.||One retired member of RHJS, not below the rank of DJ.||Nominated members|
|14.||A women member representing||Nominated members|
|15.||Secretary, BRAF||Member Secretary (Ex-officio)|
The Governing Council shall function, notwithstanding any vacancy there in and not withstanding any defect in the appointment or nomination of any of its member(s) and no act or proceeding of the GC shall be called in question merely by reason of the existence of any vacancy therein or of any defect in the appointment or nomination of any of its members.
Authorities of BRAF
The Authorities of BRAF shall be the following :
- Governing Council
- Executive Committee
- Director General
- Academic Committee
- The Director of Research
- Finance Advisor
- Such other committee(s) as may be constituted by GC/Director General of BRAF from time to time.
The officers of BRAF shall be the Director General, and such other employees of BRAF who may be so designed by BRAF. The number of officers and employees of BRAF shall be such which may be approved by Government of Rajasthan.
Chaiperson & Vice-Chairperson : Term of Office
- The Chairperson and Vice-Chairperson of the Governing Council shall be the Chief Minister and the Minister, Art, Literature and Culture, Government of Rajasthan (ex-officio).
- The Chairperson and Vice-Chairperson of BRAF shall be honorary. They shall continue to be members as long as they hold office.
Rights Aad Powers of The Bearers
- Shall preside over the meeting of the GC.
- Shall exercise such rights and power as provided by the rules and regulations and such powers as are delegated by the GC.
- Shall take actionin emergent/urgent cases when it may not be possible for him or her to convene a meeting of the GC. Report of such action shall be placed in the next meeting of the GC.
- Shall preside over the meeting of the GC in the absence of the Chairperson, and
- Shall exercise such rights and powers as provided by the rules and Regulations and such powers as are delegated by the GC.
The Director General shall be a whole time salaried officer of BRAF and shall be appointed by the state Government for a period of 3 years. Provided that notwithstanding expiry ofthe said period of three years, he shall continue in office till his successor is appointed and takes over charge.
The emoluments and other terms and conditions of service of the DG shall be as may be prescribed by the UGC for Vice-Chancellor of a university in the state and
If the office of the DG becomes vacant due to death, resignation or otherwise the Chairperson shall make necessary arrangement for the exercise of the powers, the performance of functions and the discharge of duties of the DG unit a new DG assumes office or until the exixting DG attend to the duties of his office, as the case may be.
There shall be an Executive Committee consisting of fourteen members.
The Committee shall consist of :
- The DG BRAF, who shall be the Chairperson of the EC.
- Seven members of the GC to be nominated by the Chairperson of GC from amongst its members i.e. one member from social scientists from the universities, one an eminent SC/ST academician, one representing NGOs, one from reputed scientists/technocrats/doctors/engineers/professionals etc. One who is a retired RIJS, one women member representing the SC/ST, and one person from the UGC to be nominated as member by DG in consultation with Chairman, UGC.
- Ex-officio members of the General Council.
- Construction and tenure of EC will be two years. Notwithstanding the expiry of its term of office, the Committee will continue till a new Committee is formed.
- The Secretary of BRAF.
Any temporary vacancy among the member(s) of EC shall not in anyway invalidate the decisions and action taken by the EC,and
One-third member of the EC present in person shall from the quorum at every meeting of the EC.
The EC may appoint a sub committee for functions such as finance, personnel and such other functions, as it may deem necessary from time to time. Each sub-committee may co-opt two/three members.
The Academic Committee
There shall be an academic committee consisting of eight members.
The academic committee shall be composed of:
- The DG who shall be the Chairman of the AC.
- Two members of the GC nominated by the Chairperson of GC.
- Three eminent professors working/ retired from universities to be nominated by the DG.
- One Fellow of BRAF nominated by the DG.
- The Secretary.
The tenure of nominated members will be two years, and
One-third members of the AC present in person shall from the quorum at every meeting of the AC.
Rights,Duties and Powers of Governing Council
- The GC shall have power to frame and amend Rules, Regulations not inconsistent with the Memorandum of Association.
- Without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing provisions, such regulation etc. May provide for the following matters:
- Preparation and sanction of budget estimates, the sanction of expenditure, making and execution of contracts, investment of funds of BRAF.
- Power, functions and conduct of business of such Committee(s) or advisory panels as may be constituted from time to time.
- The procedure, rules and regulations and other conditions of service of the officers and staff of BRAF, and
- Such other matters as may be necessary for the furtherance of the objectives and proper administration of the affairs of BRAF.
- Subject to the Memorandum of Association,Rules and Regulations of GC shall have the powers to:
- To appoint the administrative staff, on terms and conditions it may lay down and to fix the amount of their remuneration, subjet to the budget provisions, and to define their duties.
- To enter into agreements with Government of India, the Government of Rajasthan, UGC, ICSSR and other public or private organizations or individuals for furtherance of its objectives for implementation ofits programmes and for securing the accepting endowments, grant-in-aid, donation or gifts on mutually agreed terms and conditions. Provided that the conditions of such grants-in-aid, donations, or gifts shall not be inconsistent, or in conflict with the objectives of BRAF or with the provision of these rules and
- To arrange for the audit of the accounts of BRAF annually.
Powers Rights and Duties of The Executive Committee
Subject to the provision of these rules and Regulations the EC shall have the following powers and duties and shall perform the following function:
- To engage on contract such and so many person and on such terms and conditions as it may deem fit for the conduct of the studies, investigations, research, training or other work undertake by BRAF.
- To exercise control and discipline over the employees of BRAF and power to take disiplinary action, subjevt to confirmation by the GC.
- To recommend to the GC, the delegation of such other powers, function and duties of the DG as it may deem nesessary from time to time.
- To propose bye-law for any matter that may have not been considered and adopted by the GC.
- To propose priority areas for study and to examine proposals for the above that are offered to BRAF by external scholars, government agencies and other organizations.
- To recommend the award of doctoral and post doctoral fellowship.
- To propose a programme of publication for BRAF.
- To review from time to time the academic programmes of BRAF.
Powers and Duties of The Director General
Subject to the superintendece, direction and general control over the administration of BRAF, the DG:
- Shall be the Chief Executive Officer and academic head of BRAF and shall exercise general supervision or control over the affairs of BRAF and implement the decisions of all the authorities of BRAF.
- Shall preside over the meeting of the EC.
- Shall be entitled to take partr in the deliberations of any authority or body of BRAF.
- Shall give direction on policy matters relating to administration and academic excellence as and when deemed necessary.
- With the prior permission of the chairperson the DG may, if he is of the opinion that immediate action is called for on any matter exercise any power conferred upon any authority of BRAF under the Rules and Regulation, may take such action or proceed to take such action and report to the governing Council on action taken by him in such matters and the decision of the Governing Council shall be final.
- Shall ensure that the Rules, Bye-laws and regulations of BRAF are duly observed and implemented.
- Shall have the power to convene or cause to the convene meetings of various bodies of BRAF other than the Governing Council.
- Shall fill the ACR (Annual Confidential Report) of Officers and employees of BRAF as per the prevailing rules and orders of the Government of Rajasthan.
Function of The Academic Committee
Subject to the provisions of these Rules and Regulation, the AC shall have the following powers and functions:
- To propose priority areas for study and research and examine proposals offered to BRAF by outside scholars, government agencies and other organizations.
- To focus on reconstruction of cultural resources of SC/ST communities in the new socio-political conditions and their uses in the constructions of contemporary SC/ST identity by the communities themeselves. The culture resources in the form of myths, memories, histories and heroes are key factors. Simultaneously also the study the contributions made by the SC/ST freedom fighters in national movement.
- To organization human rights and social justice camps (awareness against exploitation) provides incentives for small family, female child and inter-caste marriages and ecological preservation groups.
- To propose a programme for publication of literature for primary class libraries and BRAF's own books, journals, etc. And,
- To review from time to time the academic programmes of BRAF.
The Director and Deputy Director of Research
- The DR and Deputy DR(s) shall be whole time officers of BRAF and shall be appointed by the EC on the recommendations of Selection Committee consisting of the following:
- One Nominee of the Chairperson of the GC, And
- Three experts to be nominated by the DG.
- The emoluments and other terms and conditions of the DR and Deputy DR shall be as the UGC guidelines.
- The Director of Research shall direct, co-ordinate and exercise general supervision or control the affairs of research and shall be mainly responsible with regard to preparation of research proposals and due execution of all research programmes connected with research.
- The functions of the Director of Research shall be to conduct researchs of various dimensions of the SC/ST and such other function(s) as it may deem necessary,and
- The Director General shall be the Chairman of the research wings of BRAF.
Proceeding of The Government Council
- The meeting of GC of BRAF shall be held at such time, date and place as may be determinedby the Chairperson. These shall be one meeting at leasr in a year.
- Except as otherwise provided in these rules, all meeting of the GC shall be called through a notice under the signature of the Secretary of BRAF.
- If the Chairperson is not present at the meeting of the DC, the Vice-Chairperson shall stand adjourned. Such an adjourned meeting of the GC, the Vice Chairperson shall Chair the meeting. In the event of both being absent, it shall stand adjourned. Such an adjourned meeting shall be convened by the Chairperson. At such subsequent meeting, the members present may transact the business for the meeting irrespective of the quorum.
- Every notice for calling a meeting of GC shall mention the date, time and place at which such meeting shall be held. The notice shall be served on every member of the GC not less than 15 days before the day scheduled for the meeting, and 7 days in case of a special meeting.
One third of the serving members of the GC shall forma quorum at every meeting of the GC. No quorum shall be necessary in respect of any meeting subsequent to an adjourned meeting.
- The FA shall be a whole time salaried officer of BRAF and shall bee appointedby the State Government from the Rajasthan Account Service cadre.
- The emoluments and other terms and conditions of the Financial Adviser shall be, as may be prescribed by the State Government.
- The FA shall work under the supervision of the DG and be accountable to the EC through the DG. He will be an advisor to the DG on financial matters, and
- The FA shall work under the supervision of the DG and be accountable to the EC through the DG. He will be an advisor to the DG on financial matters, and
- The FA shall maintain in consultation with the auditors proper accounts and other relevant records and prepare annual accounts comprising of the receipts and be prescribed by Government of Rajasthan.
- The FA shall participate in all meetings of any of the authorities/committees of BRAF wherever financial decisions or decisions with financial implications are scheduled to be taken.
- The Secretary shall be a whole time salaried officer of BEAF and shall be appointed by the State Government from the Rajasthan Administrative service Cadre.
- The emoluments and other terms and conditions of the Secretary shall be, as may be prescribed by the State Government .
- The Secretary shall be Member-Secretary of the GC, EC and any other Committee constituted under these rules.
- When the office of the Secretary is vacant or when the Secretary is absent by reason of leave, illness or any other reason the duties and function of the Secretary shall be performed by such person(s) as the DG may assign for the purpose.
- The following shall be the duties of the Secretary:
- To be custodian of the record, common seal and the funds of BRAF and such other property of BRAF as the GC and EC may assign.
- To sign all documents and conduct the official correspondence on behalf of the authorities of BRAF.
- To perform such other work as may be assigned to him from time to time by GC and EC.
- To issue notices for convening meeting of the Authorities of BRAF and all committee and sub-committees appointed by any of these Authorities.
- To maintain the mimutes of the meeting of all the Authorities of BRAF and of all the committees and sub-committees appointed by any of these Authorities.
- To represent BRAF in all suits and legal proceeding by and against BRAF and to sign powers of Attorney and pleadings. He may also depute his representative for this purpose.
- To enter into agreements, sign documents and authenticate record on behalf of BRAF and
- To hold in his custody books and documents of BRAF.
Funds of Braf
The funds of BRAF shall consist of the following:
- Such budgetary provision as may be made by the Government of Rajasthan from time for the furtherance of the objectives of BRAF.
- Other grants from Government of India and national organization such as UGC, ICSSR, Ninistry of Social Justice and Empowerment, Government of India and such other bodies.
- Project funds received from nation agencies, and
- Contributions from philanthropists.
Accounts, Audit and Annual Report
- The accounts of BRAF shall be audited annually by Chartered Accountant(s) appointed by the GC and expenditure incurred in connection with the audit of accounts shall be payable by BRAF.
- The Auditorsappointed by the GC shall have the same rights, privileges and the Controller and Auditor General or any other person appointed by him with regard to the audit of BRAF, and in particular, shall have the right to demand production of document(s) account(s) connected bills and vouchers, and other documents and papers deemed necessary.
- The account of BRAF along with the Report of the Auditors shall be submitted to the GC.
- The Registrar of Societies and/or finance department Government of Rajasthan will have full power to examine the working of BRAF, as and when deem necessary.
Interpretation of Rules
In case of any doubt with regard to interpretation of the Rules and Regulations the decision of the Governing Council shall be final.
Amendments of Rules
These Rules may be amended, add to, altered or deleted by a Resolutioin passed in a meeting of the Governing Council duty convened for the purpose and supported by two-third majority of the total members present and voted.
- Once in every year a list of members of the Governing Council and all other necessary information shall be field with the Registrar of Societies as required under section 4 of the Rajasthan Societies Registration Act, 1958.
- All the provisions of the Rajasthan Societies Registration Act, 1958 shall apply to the Dr. Bhim Rao Ambedkar Foundation Society.